You can find (in the sourcebooks) many definitions of
what is a clan or a bloodline. I choose to adopt a genealogical
point of view : all Vampires are considered to have a unique sire
(if a vampire is sired from a mix of blood, one of the blood
will be supposed to have precedence).
Then, all vampires could trace their lineage up to one of
the (alleged) 13 great-progeny of Caine : the "original"
I consider that a bloodline exists when there exist
one (or more) vampire(s) from a clan, the bloodline founders,
such that all their progeny is member of the bloodline and such
that all members of the bloodline are their progeny.
Additionnally, there should be a way to distinguish them
from the clan and the other clans and bloodlines (weakness,
discipline), and the foundation of the bloodline is linked
to a specific event.
- This is the case for the progeny of Troile, the Samedi,
Laibon and Kiasyd, who have a unique founder.
- The Giovanni are a bit more complicated case because
a few of them (Ambrogino and his progeny) are not descendant
of Augustus. I consider that Augustus and Ambrogino are
technically the two founders of the bloodline.
- The Baali have three Salubri founders.
- The Tremere founders were made vampires with Tzimisce blood.
The now-called clan Tremere is then a Tzimisce bloodline with
a half-dozen of founders.
- Lhiannan, Nagaraja and Daughters of Cacophony have
uncertain origins. I put them as bloodlines of the more
- Gargoyle and Blood-Brothers are the result of blood
manipulations made by the Tremere. They used some vampires
as subjects of their experiments, so the resulting lines
should be put as bloodline of the original clan.
Blood-Brothers were probably all Tzimisce.
Gargoyles were from various clans (Gangrels, Nosferatus
and Tzimisce), that's why they are not in the main list.
- Ahrimanes are made from Gangrels, but they cannot embrace
after being transformed, so they don't form a bloodline.
- Old Clan Tzimisce, Assamite bloodlines, Nictuku,
Serpents of the light, Harbingers of Skulls and Lamia
are not bloodlines in the sense above :
they differ from the main clan by their philosophy more than
by their ancestors.
- Children of Osiris or Caitiffs are certainly not a clan
nor a bloodline with this definition.
- Kindred of the East (Kuei-jin) should ne be in the genealogy
since they are not progeny of the Antediluvians, but I include
some of them for completeness.
- Dhampirs will be handled the same way.